Roasted Winter Chestnut Soup!
Yields: 4 to 5 servings
1 cup roasted chestnuts, peeled and chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
½ cup potato, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh sage
½ cup (125 ml) Oloroso sherry
½ cup (125 ml) white wine
6 cups (1.5 l) vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for cooking
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and sauté until lightly coloured, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add in the chestnuts and potato and continue cooking on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the Sherry, wine, and stock, then bring to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by 25 per cent.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place slightly-cooled mixture in a blender and purée on high speed.
- Pass through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
Looking for a more decadent version? Visit Maple Leaf Tavern in Leslieville for Chef Vallins’ specialized version, served with truffle chantilly and pine mushrooms!